[GNU-linux-libre] OpenJDK international use restrictions
Riley Baird
2014-09-01 20:49:44 UTC

OpenJDK is released under the GPL (with a linking exception), but on
International Use Restrictions
Due to limited intellectual property protection and enforcement in
certain countries, the JDK source code may only be distributed to an
authorized list of countries. You will not be able to access the
source code if you are downloading from a country that is not on this
list. We are continuously reviewing this list for addition of other
countries.
Does this make OpenJDK non-distributable by restricting the
redistribution rights granted by the GPL?

Thanks,

Riley Baird

----
[1] http://download.java.net/openjdk/jdk8/
Sergio Durigan Junior
2014-09-01 21:07:00 UTC
Post by Riley Baird
OpenJDK is released under the GPL (with a linking exception), but on
International Use Restrictions
Due to limited intellectual property protection and enforcement in
certain countries, the JDK source code may only be distributed to an
authorized list of countries. You will not be able to access the
source code if you are downloading from a country that is not on this
list. We are continuously reviewing this list for addition of other
countries.
Does this make OpenJDK non-distributable by restricting the
redistribution rights granted by the GPL?
IANAL.

This is a very interesting question (and enters in a grey area of legal
obligations...). There was a relatively recent discussion about this on
Fedora as well, though this discussion unfortunately happened "under the
hood".

The link is:

<https://fedorahosted.org/irc-support-sig/ticket/157>

While the discussion was happening, I contacted rms and johns to ask for
help from the FSF on this subject, and they said they would contact
Fedora/Red Hat about it. I am not sure they did (things sometimes are
not as transparent as I wish), but nevertheless the conclusion (from the
ticket) is that the text on the main page cannot be changed due to Red
Hat's obligation towards U.S.'s ridiculous export law.

That may be the case for OpenJDK as well. But I am not sure what we can
do about it.
--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 0x65FC5E36